A really great thing about subsequent kids is your shopping list for the baby-to-be isn’t nearly as daunting as it was with the first. That being said, some of the things we used for Clifford now have water damage and need to be replaced. Also, after 2 years of raising Cliffy, I’ve learned a lot about what products worked for us and what didn’t. Below are a few things I’m looking to add or replace for baby number 2.
- Baby Carrier: I loved the idea of a baby wrap with Cliffy, but I never ended up using the one we had because it was so insanely complicated to put on! I plan on wearing my newborn a lot more this time around in order to be hands-free for his big bro, so I wanted something more comfortable and less complicated to put on. I chose the Baby K’tan (in the prettiest purple!) and can’t wait to try it out when baby comes.
- Baby Swing: Cliffy and I both despised his swing…so I’m not entirely bummed that it has water damage. I also didn’t realize it was technically a “portable” swing, so it was very low to the ground and our dog could easily lick his face with zero effort. I have my eye on this highly-rated Fisher-Price swing.
- Double Stroller: A new addition to our baby gear will be a “double” stroller! I chose this Chicco one because it folds up pretty small (a MUST for my compact car) and it’s compatible with our Chicco Keyfit 30 infant car seat. Also, we took it for a spin around Buy Buy Baby recently and Clifford LOVED riding on the standing platform!
- Bath Lotus: Bathing a wiggly, slippery newborn in a hard plastic tub (even with the infant “hammock” installed) gave me such anxiety. I remembered seeing this Blooming Baby Bath Lotus when I was pregnant the first time and thinking it was cute but not knowing if it was really necessary. This time I’m going for it! I would much rather bathe my newborn in the sink and I love how soft and comfortable the lotus looks.
- Activity Mat: Another water damaged item was our activity mat. I love this one with a little piano to kick as a replacement!
- Sound Machine: We didn’t get a sound machine until after Clifford was born in a moment of total desperation, and it’s been one of the best investments for his sleep! This time it’s on the top of our baby shopping list. I like this sound machine/night light combo that you can control on your phone from a different room! I love how it also can be programmed to turn on when it’s morning time for the toddler years.
- Diaper Pail: A diaper pail is something I never had with Cliffy that I think will be very necessary this time around. I always kept just a regular old trash can with a lid in Clifford’s room and we really have to change it VERY regularly or it will smell embarrassingly bad. With two kids to tend to, I really don’t want to have to deal with that, so I’m planning on buying the Dekor Plus for the baby’s nursery.
- Nursery Furniture: Clifford’s crib is convertible, so he’ll be keeping that for a long time, so a new crib for the baby (eventually – I like to room-share during the early months) is a must. We are also planning to add a dresser for storage and a changing station, a glider, and a rug for the hardwood floors. I’m not sure exactly what we will purchase yet for these things, but I will probably have a post debuting baby’s nursery in the coming months once it’s complete!
- Teethers, pacifiers, etc.: I have so many of these things leftover from Clifford’s baby years, but would you want to suck on someone’s 2+ year-old teethers? Yuck. I think the new baby should have his own brand new bottle nipples, teethers, and pacifiers.